Our Namesake

The name Bellerose was suggested by a citizen of St. Albert in response to a name-the-school contest. The Bellerose family came to St. Albert in 1849. Family members spoke French, Cree and English. They were trappers, hunters, fishermen, loggers, interpreters and guides as well as freighters and farmers. They had no formal education but were good citizens, willing and energetic to conquer tasks that lay before them. In 1886, they built St. Albert's first school in what is now the Inglewood area of the city. The original school is now part of Fort Edmonton Park.